POMONA, Calif. (Nov. 14, 2008) – It was a change in momentum for Bob Tasca III and the Motorcraft/Quick Lane Shelby Mustang team on Friday in Pomona. After struggling down the track on Thursday, Tasca and his team made a complete 180-degree shift by posting the 11th-quickest qualifying time and earning the rookie team owner and driver a spot in the field heading into Saturday qualifying.
“We’re finally not No. 13,” said Tasca of his qualifying position. “These are conditions that we like; hot race tracks where [Chris] Cunningham knows how to turn those dials and make that hot rod sing. And going up there, we didn’t have the luxury of trying something because we smoked the tires yesterday and we weren’t in. Chris knew that he needed to get the car down the racetrack and he got the job done. He made the right call and got us into the top 12.”
After posting the 17th time on Friday, that time was thrown out heading in Friday, and with a solid run down a hot track in Southern California, Tasca and his team will head into Saturday with a little bit less pressure than they’ve experienced in previous races.
“I’m real excited for the guys on the team,” said Tasca. “This is the last race and it’s a big race and the pressure is on. There are some of the big names that aren’t into the top 12 and we’re excited about being in the field and heading into tomorrow.”
NEWS/STATS AT A GLANCE:
– Qualifying Run No. 2: 4.176 ET / 299.40 mph
– 11th on the day
– Qualifying Run No. 1: 5.518 ET / 129.93 mph
– 17th time of the day
– 20 Funny Cars attempted qualifying on Thursday
– Tasca Racing and Tim Wilkerson Racing recently announced plans for a two-car alliance for the 2009 season.
– The rookie driver is 12th in the championship standings
– Tasca Racing recently broke ground on their new racing shop in Concord, North Carolina, with an expected complete date of February 2009.
– The Motorcraft/Quick Lane team was formed in November 2007 for debut at the 2008 Winternationals at Pomona.
ABOUT THE DRIVER:
Bob Tasca III is a 33-year-old rookie in the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing nitro Funny Car class. Tasca competed the past three seasons in the Alcohol Funny Car class. Tasca is also a third-generation Ford dealer from Rhode Island.