KENT, Wash. (July 20 2008) – Bob Tasca III’s time in Sunday’s first round at Pacific Raceways, was one of the best of the session. Unfortunately, Mike Neff posted a quicker reaction time, which resulted in a Holeshot loss for the driver of the Motorcraft/Quick Lane/Custom Accessories Shelby Mustang,
“There’s no excuses,” said Tasca of his Holeshot loss. “We had a car that could win, and I didn’t do my job. It’s beyond a reasonable doubt, the toughest loss that I’ve had in my driving career. Mike had a great light and his car ran well.
“At the end of the day, the team did a good job and Chris [Cunningham, crew chief] did a good job. The car ran exceptional all day Saturday and on that first run, I think we were third quickest of the session.”
The rookie driver is now down to four races before the cutoff begins for the top 10 drivers that will run for the championship. Despite the first-round loss, Tasca remains 11th in the standings, 22 points outside of the top 10.
“We just haven’t had anything go our way on Sunday,” said the rookie. “I guess it’s going to have to start to come around here quick, because we’re running out of races to make it into the top 10. We’re still very optimistic with the way the car is running. As a driver, you’re gonna have your losses on a Holeshot, you just hope that you have more than you lose. Unfortunately today I didn’t do my job.”
The Motorcraft/Quick Lane/Custom Accessories Shelby Mustang team will take a road trip down to Sonoma, Calif., for the third of three-in-a-row racing at next weekend’s NHRA Nationals at Infineon Raceway July 25-27.
NEWS/STATS AT A GLANCE:
– Voting for the car design that will be featured on Tasca’s Funny Car at the U.S. Nationals continues through July 31 at www.jdrf.org/ford. Currently, the design contest has raised more that $33,000 dollars for research for type 1 diabetes.
Elimination Round No. 1:
– Tasca: 4.160 ET / 298.60 mph
– Neff: 4.205 ET / 293.54 mph
– Sunday was the first meeting between Rookie-of-the-Year candidates.
– Tasca is running a full season and for 2008 Rookie-of-the-Year honors.
– Tasca began putting together his nitro Funny Car team in November 2007, for debut at the 2008 Winternationals at Pomona in February.
ABOUT THE DRIVER:
Bob Tasca III is a 32-year-old rookie in the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing nitro Funny Car class. Tasca competed the past three seasons in the Alcohol Funny Car class. Tasca is also a third-generation Ford dealer from Rhode Island.