ENNIS, Texas (Sept. 19, 2008) – Bob Tasca III made his first passes at Texas Motorplex on Friday, and while putting together a solid run in the afternoon, the rookie unfortunately smoked the tires during the night run and will have to fight for one of the four remaining qualifying spots still up for grabs for Sunday’s NHRA Fall Nationals.
“The first run was so encouraging because the car made a great run,” said Tasca. “When you get into the night run, you want to run the big numbers. Unfortunately, the difference between running a big number and smoking the tires is paper-thin. If the fans only knew just how close the adjustments are, it’s just mind-boggling.”
Tasca was the 14th-quickest driver on the day, but will enter day two of racing without a recorded qualifying time. Under NHRA rules, only the top 12 times from Friday carry over into Saturday qualifying.
“We’ve just been struggling on Friday nights,” said Tasca. “We make some of the quickest runs on Saturday morning, so that plays into our favor going into tomorrow, and I know that Chris [Cunningham, crew chief] will figure it out. I’ve got a lot of confidence in him and my team, and I’m really comfortable in the car. And hey, when our backs have been against the wall this season, we’ve performed and I expect no different tomorrow.”
Tasca’s first run on tomorrow will be at noon as the rookie driver looks to earn a spot in Sunday’s race and make his 19th start of his career.
NEWS/STATS AT A GLANCE:
– Qualifying Run No. 1: 4.200 ET / 291.70 mph
– Qualifying Run No. 2: 5.140 ET / 145.02 mph
– Tasca Racing recently broke ground on their new racing shop in Concord, North Carolina, with an expected complete date of February 2009.
– Tasca is running a full season and competing for 2008 Rookie-of-the-Year honors.
– Tasca began putting together his nitro Funny Car team in November 2007, for debut at the 2008 Winternationals at Pomona in February.
ABOUT THE DRIVER:
Bob Tasca III is a 32-year-old rookie in the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing nitro Funny Car class. Tasca competed the past three seasons in the Alcohol Funny Car class. Tasca is also a third-generation Ford dealer from Rhode Island.