ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. (June 18, 2008) – As a resident of Rhode Island, the quarter-mile drag strip in Englishtown, New Jersey, is the closest track to home on the NHRA for Bob Tasca III. Competing this weekend in the NHRA Supernationals, the rookie driver looks to grab his first win of the season, just four hours away from home.
“For me, Englishtown has really played an important part in my drag racing career,” said Tasca. “It was the first professional event that I ever went to, and it’s the first track that I ever went down in a Pro Stock car to get my Pro Stock license. And, after last year, it became the first track that I ever won a national event, so it holds a special place in my heart.”
The driver of the Motorcraft/Quick Lane/Custom Accessories Shelby Mustang Funny Car will make his Fuel Funny Car debut at his hometown track, entering the weekend 10th in championship points.
“I’ve always had a lot of friends and family that have come down for the race, so I’m really excited for them to see me race in my first Fuel Funny Car race at this track,” said Tasca. “You always race really well in front of friends and family. We’ve got a lot of confidence going into this track; it should be a great, great race.
“I’m excited, because there haven’t been too many races this year where I’ve had a lot of my friends and family out because we’ve been far away from home, so I’m looking forward to this weekend and to take home the trophy.”
After a week off from racing this past week, Tasca and his crew return to the track this weekend, recharged and ready to win.
“It’s an interesting time of the year,” said the rookie driver. “We’re sitting here, halfway through the first championship run, and we’re 10th in the points. And that’s a great place to be for a new team like ours. This past weekend was nice for the guys on the team to be able to get home and recharge their batteries, and me as well. But we’re going to be back at the track this weekend and we’re ready to run hard.
“The championship picture is really starting to take shape, and it’s going to continue to do that through this weekend in Englishtown. For our team, being where we are, we couldn’t be happier. But for us, it’s not about staying on the bubble. It’s about moving up solidly into the top 10. We want to move up and give ourselves a real run at this championship.”
NEWS/STATS AT A GLANCE:
– Tasca will attempt to make his 10th start of the season this weekend in Englishtown.
– Tasca won his first National Event in his Top Alcohol Funny Car in Englishtown in 2007.
– Tasca is 10th in the championship standings and seventh in the Full Throttle Pit Crew Challenge.
– This weekend, the Motorcraft/Quick Lane/Custom Accessories team will host a group of kids from the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation from the Central New Jersey area. For each round Tasca wins on Sunday, Ford Customer Service Division will make a donation to the national JDRF chapter.
– Tasca is running a full season and for 2008 Rookie-of-the-Year honors.
– Tasca began putting together his nitro Funny Car team in November 2007, for debut at the 2008 Winternationals at Pomona in February.
ABOUT THE DRIVER:
Bob Tasca III is a 32-year-old rookie in the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing nitro Funny Car class. Tasca competed the past three seasons in the Alcohol Funny Car class. Tasca is also a third-generation Ford dealer from Rhode Island.