SummitRacing.com NHRA Nationals
The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in Las Vegas, Nevada
April 2-5, 2009
TASCA AND MOTORCRAFT/QUICK LANE SHELBY MUSTANG TEAM ARE ‘ALL IN’ FOR LAS VEGAS NHRA RACE
Ante Up. Tasca and the Motorcraft/Quick Lane Mustang Shelby team return to the table in hopes of improving their luck after a first round exit in Houston. The Strip At Las Vegas is one of Tasca’s favorite tracks.
“We’re still riding the momentum from earlier in the season. I’m looking forward to racing in Las Vegas this weekend,” said Tasca. “We qualified third in our Motorcraft/Quick Lane Shelby Mustang there last year, so we have high expectations to get back on track in Las Vegas this weekend. Vegas is arguably one of the top five tracks in the series. Gainesville is historic and I can’t complain about Gainesville because that’s where my first win came. I wouldn’t be disappointed to get my second win at Las Vegas. That is a win that you want to have on your resume.”
Full House. Fans help make the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing a success. The track located just north of Las Vegas’ famed strip tends to put on a world-class show for the race fans.
“Las Vegas is one of the marquee facilities with huge crowds and the stands are always packed,” said Tasca. “The Strip is a place where you can apply the power because the track is smooth, flat and it allows these cars to work their magic and put on a great show.”
Two of a Kind. In the fall of 2008, Tasca formed a technical alliance with defending Las Vegas race winner Tim Wilkerson. At the start of the 2009 season, Tasca believed the results of the alliance would prove valuable within five races of the season as they search to find a common balance between their two Mustangs.
“You’ll start to see our two Mustangs come together this weekend. We’re sharing a lot of information,” explained Tasca. “The good news about this alliance is that we’re just starting to get into the real value of it and really learning the characteristics of the two cars. Wilkerson made some tune-up changes in Houston based on some of the stuff he talked to Chris Cunningham [Tasca crew chief], about and Tim went right to the top of the pack in qualifying.”
Ace High. Las Vegas is home to Shelby Automobiles and the Shelby Corner Café. Tasca hopes his mentor and living legend Carroll Shelby brings him some Vegas luck this weekend.
“Las Vegas is the hometown for Carroll Shelby and it is only fitting that we run the Shelby Mustang,” added Tasca. “Carroll always comes to the race at least one of the days and it’s great to see him there as well as all the people from Shelby Automotive.”
Full Throttle Points Standings – Funny Car
1. Ron Capps, 294; 2. Del Worsham 265; 3. Ashley Force Hood, 261; 4. Bob Tasca III, 257; 5. Tony Pedregon, 232; 6. Jack Beckman, 231; 7. Matt Hagan, 210; 8. John Force, 200; 9t. Robert Hight, 196; 9t. Mike Neff, 196; 11. Tim Wilkerson, 189.
Las Vegas Race Notes
– Tasca qualified third during last spring’s event at Las Vegas. He defeated Melanie Troxel in the first round and lost to Ron Capps in the second round after crossing the center line.
– Tasca dropped two positions in the points standings after Houston, he sits in fourth heading into round five of the 2009 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series.
Tasca Funny Car Achievements
– First round win, defeated Melanie Troxel, February 10, 2008, NHRA Winternationals, Pomona, CA
– First time in the semi-finals, April 27, 2008, NHRA Southern Nationals, Atlanta, GA
– First No. 1 qualifier, March 14, 2009, Gatornationals, Gainesville, FL
– First win, March 15, 2009, Gatornationals, Gainesville, FL
Motorcraft/Quick Lane Notes
– 2009 marks the second year Ford Customer Service Division brands Motorcraft and Quick Lane sponsor Bob Tasca III and Tasca Racing.
– Motorcraft® continues its relationship with NHRA, having sponsored Hall-of-Fame NHRA driver Bob Glidden and drag racing legend Kenny Bernstein, among others, in the late 80s and early 90s.
– Motorcraft® products strike the perfect balance of precision, quality and pricing. Manufactured to strict specifications, they install quickly and give the confidence of doing a job right the first time. Motorcraft is the preferred choice of Ford Motor Company.
– Quick Lane Tire® & Auto Centers provide the services your car or truck needs most, performed by factory-trained experts and on your schedule. You’ll never need an appointment and you’ll get service while you wait, even on evenings and weekends. We’ll take care of any make, or model using quality Motorcraft® parts. Give them a try and see why life is better in the Quick Lane®.
– Quick Lane® offers routine maintenance and light repair services, such as oil and filter changes, brake repairs and tire replacement for all makes and models.
– Quick Lane celebrated the opening of its 500th tire and auto center in 2008. Visit www.quicklane.com to find any of the four Quick Lanes in the greater Las Vegas area.
Saturday, April 4 – ESPN2 and ESPN2HD will televise two hours of qualifying highlights at 8 p.m. (ET).
Sunday, April 5 – ESPN2 and ESPN2HD will televise NHRA Race Day, a 30-minute news magazine show, at 11a.m. (ET)
Sunday, April 5 – ESPN2 and ESPN2HD will televise three hours of coverage starting at 4 p.m. (ET).
Satellite (Analog feed)
Friday, April 3 – 10 – 10:30 p.m. (ET), AMC 15 / Transponder 1K (11720 MHz, vertical)
Saturday, April 4 – 10:30 – 11p.m. (ET), AMC 15 / Transponder 1K (11720 MHz, vertical)
Sunday, April 5 – 7:30 – 8 p.m. (ET), AMC 15 / Transponder 1K (11720 MHz, vertical)
Video news release contains race action highlights each day and winners’ interviews on Sunday.
Motorcraft® offers a complete line of original equipment-approved parts that are recommended and approved by Ford Motor Company. From routine maintenance to underhood and powertrain repairs, Motorcraft parts offer exceptional value with the highest quality and right fit at competitive prices. Motorcraft parts are available locally and are backed nationwide by Ford Motor Company’s Service Parts Limited Warranty. For more information, visit www.motorcraft.com.
About Quick Lane
Quick Lane® provides automotive quick services for all makes and models. Quick Lane’s® nationwide network of over 500 facilities provides the convenience of an aftermarket company (no appointment necessary, service while you wait, evening and weekend hours, competitive prices) with the confidence of a major automotive manufacturer (quality parts, factory-trained technicians). Quick Lane® is a registered trademark of Ford Motor Company. For more information, visit www.quicklane.com.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With more than 213,000 employees and about 90 plants worldwide, the company’s wholly owned brands include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Volvo. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit www.ford.com
# # # #