O’Reilly NHRA Spring Nationals
Houston Raceway Park in Baytown, Texas
March 27-29, 2009
HOUSTON, WE HAVE A CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDER
BOB TASCA III AND THE MOTORCRAFT/QUICK LANE SHELBY MUSTANG
NITRO FUNNY CAR TAKE FLIGHT IN HOUSTON
Start the countdown:
3. In November 2007, Bob Tasca III secured a three-year sponsorship with Ford Customer Service Division’s brands Motorcraft and Quick Lane. On that fateful winter day in Michigan, he promised them a victory. In the third race of the 2009 season, Tasca III in the Motorcraft/Quick Lane Ford Shelby Mustang delivered on that promise:
I was thrilled to be able to deliver this victory to Motorcraft and Quick Lane. My sponsors have raced a long time and never got a Wally [NHRA trophy]. I’m honored to represent Motorcraft and Quick Lane and bring them a Gatornationals win. I knew we could win, so hopefully this is the first of many to come. We, the entire Motorcraft/Quick Lane team, are determined and focused to win a championship. For me, I keep it in perspective. It was only one win but it was a great win.
2. Now in his second full season of NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series Funny Car competition, Tasca sits in lofty territory – second in the point standings. Tasca reflects on his series ranking and his sophomore year:
We’re very early into the season and being No. 2 in the points, going into Houston is a good place to be. You’ve got to be in the top 10 to run for the championship and that’s really our focus right now. I think the biggest difference for me from last year to this year is to know the unknown. From last year to this year, everything happens slower in the car. I’m more relaxed because I have a pretty good feel for what’s going to happen when I hit the gas.
1: One race at a time. As the top qualifier in Gainesville, Tasca credits the Motorcraft/Quick Lane team led by crew chief Chris Cunningham with the set-up for success:
I give all the credit to my guys, Chris, Marc Denner and the team that we’ve assembled. They’re methodical with how they approach everything. You’ve seen the consistency in our Shelby Mustang. You saw it in Pomona and in Phoenix and Gainesville. To win this championship, it starts all over again in Houston. We’re going to take one round at time, one race at time and keep getting this Motorcraft/Quick Lane Mustang Shelby in the winner’s circle.
I just can’t wait to get back into our Motorcraft/Quick Lane Ford Shelby Mustang Funny Car. Having a week off has been great to reflect on and appreciate Gainesville, but I can assure you, Friday morning, Gainesville is over and Houston begins. I’m looking forward to keeping this momentum and building on what we have established early in the season. I’m ready for Houston,
LAUNCH – On March 13, Ford Customer Service Division launched the ‘Race Hot to a Mustang Sweepstakes.’ One grand prize winner will drive away in an all-new 2010 Ford Mustang GT equipped with a Ford Racing Performance Parts package and upgrades courtesy of Ford Custom Accessories. Enter online until November 23, 2009, at www.motorcraft.com, www.quicklane.com, and www.bobtasca.com. The Race Hot Sweepstakes is open to all licensed U.S. citizens over the age of 18.
Full Throttle Points Standings – Funny Car
- Ron Capps: 263
- Bob Tasca III: 225
- Del Worsham: 184
- Robert Hight:164
- Mike Neff: 163
- Tony Pedregon: 160
- Matt Hagan: 157
- Jim Head: 155
- John Force: 146
- Ashley Force Hood: 145
- Jack Beckman: 137
- Tim Wilkerson: 134
- Jerry Toliver: 115
- Gary Densham: 104
- t. Jeff Arend and Cruz Pedregon: 94
Houston Race Notes
- Tasca claimed his first No. 1 qualifying position at Gainesville
- Tasca earned his first NHRA Funny Car win at Gainesville
- Tasca’s No. 1 qualifying effort at Gainesville marks the sixth time he has claimed a top-five spot in qualifying. His first round win marked the 10th time he had advanced past the opening round in the Nitro Ladder.
- Tasca moved up four positions in the points standings, he sits in second heading into round four of the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series.
Motorcraft/Quick Lane Notes
- 2009 marks the second year Ford Customer Service Division brands Motorcraft and Quick Lane sponsor Bob Tasca III and Tasca Racing.
- Motorcraft® continues its relationship with NHRA, having sponsored Hall-of-Fame NHRA driver Bob Glidden and drag racing legend Kenny Bernstein, among others, in the late 80s and early 90s.
- Motorcraft® products strike the perfect balance of precision, quality and pricing. Manufactured to strict specifications, they install quickly and give the confidence of doing a job right the first time. Motorcraft is the preferred choice of Ford Motor Company.
- Quick Lane Tire® & Auto Centers provide the services your car or truck needs most, performed by factory-trained experts and on your schedule. You’ll never need an appointment and you’ll get service while you wait, even on evenings and weekends. We’ll take care of any make, or model using quality Motorcraft® parts. Give them a try and see why life is better in the Quick Lane®.
Quick Lane® offers routine maintenance and light repair services, such as oil and filter changes, brake repairs and tire replacement for all makes and models.
Quick Lane celebrated the opening of its 500th tire and auto center in 2008. Visit www.quicklane.com to find any of the 17 Quick Lanes in the greater Houston area.
Saturday, March 28 – ESPN2 and ESPN2HD will televise one hour of qualifying highlights at 8 p.m. (ET).
Sunday, March 29 – ESPN2 and ESPN2HD will televise NHRA Race Day, a 30-minute news magazine show, at 11a.m. (ET).
Sunday, March 29 – ESPN2 and ESPN2HD will televise three hours and thirty minutes of coverage starting at 4:30 p.m. (ET).
Satellite (Analog feed)
Friday, March 27, 9 – 9:30 p.m. (ET), AMC 15 / Transponder 1K (11720 MHz, vertical).
Saturday, March 28, 8 – 8:30p.m. (ET), AMC 15 / Transponder 1K (11720 MHz, vertical).
Sunday, March 29, 8 – 8:30 p.m. (ET), AMC 15 / Transponder 1K (11720 MHz, vertical) Video news release contains race action highlights each day and winners’ interviews on Sunday.
Motorcraft® offers a complete line of original equipment-approved parts that are recommended and approved by Ford Motor Company. From routine maintenance to underhood and powertrain repairs, Motorcraft parts offer exceptional value with the highest quality and right fit at competitive prices. Motorcraft parts are available locally and are backed nationwide by Ford Motor Company’s Service Parts Limited Warranty. For more information, visit www.motorcraft.com.
About Quick Lane
Quick Lane® provides automotive quick services for all makes and models. Quick Lane’s® nationwide network of over 500 facilities provides the convenience of an aftermarket company (no appointment necessary, service while you wait, evening and weekend hours, competitive prices) with the confidence of a major automotive manufacturer (quality parts, factory-trained technicians). Quick Lane® is a registered trademark of Ford Motor Company. For more information, visit www.quicklane.com.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With more than 213,000 employees and about 90 plants worldwide, the company’s wholly owned brands include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Volvo. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit www.ford.com